23-time Grand Slam champion Serena Williams is apparently 20 weeks pregnant. She announced the news via social media on Snapchat. BUT, shortly thereafter has removed the photo from her Snapchat account. No word from the GOAT or fiance Alexis Ohanian has been said on whether it’s still true or not, but many are sticking with the positive affirmation that she is.
— EntertainmentTonight (@etnow) April 19, 2017
It still has come as a surprise since Williams won her 23rd Grand Slam at the Australian Open defeating her sister, Venus. That win gave her the most Grand Slam titles in Open Era. Speculation could say Serena was pregnant during the Aussie Open given she’s 20 weeks.
She recently got engaged to co-founder of Reddit, Alexis Ohanian in December. Yes, Serena Williams has been very busy to say the least.
Her pregnancy news comes right after the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) announced she would return to world No. 1 on April 24th.
Of course, all that could change if current world No. 1 Angelique Kerber makes the semifinals in Germany at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix tournament. With a bun in the oven, Serena may lose that top ranking just as quick as she got it.
WHAT’S AT STAKE
Considering the future, Serena’s tennis career could now be on a stand-by. Here’s what’s at stake for the tennis superstar with her breaking news:
- Tying and surpassing Margaret Court this year is out of the question
- Margaret Court is the current all-time Grand Slam titles holder with 24 and Serena Williams is one shy of tying her and two away from breaking the record.
- Absent from the French Open, Wimbledon, and US Open; No Serena Slam
- With her news, there’s without a doubt she will not be competing in the remaining Grand Slams of 2017, which also means a Serena Slam will possibly not be occurring this year
- Loss of Ranking
- This isn’t new to Williams as she has lost her world No. 1 ranking before. The two recent instances were (1) when she lost back to back Grand Slam tournaments, awarding Kerber the top spot, and (2) when she dropped out of Indian Wells and the Miami Open tournament citing a knee injury, where Kerber was back on top again.
As tournaments arise throughout the year, we can only wait and see what’s to occur for Serena Williams and her future tennis record holder.