Senior day at the University of Maryland for all of the seniors as they beat Rutgers 31-13.
The first half of the game was all Maryland. On the first drive of the game for the Terps, running back Kenneth Goins Jr. ran for 46 yards for a touchdown to give the Terps the lead over the Scarlet Knights. Teldrick Morgan added an 83-yard punt return touchdown which put the Terps up 14-0. Rutgers would answer in the second quarter with a touchdown run by Robert Martin to make the score 14-7. Maryland would cap off the first half with an end around by Tyrell Pigrome for a 28-yard touchdown to end it at 21-7. The Terrapin defense sacked Rutgers four times in the first half.
Rutgers running back, Justin Goodwin, would run it in for a touchdown from 28 yards out on a 6 play 57-yard drive to open the third. Andrew Stefanelli scored on a one-yard run for a touchdown to increase Maryland’s lead. It was Stefanelli’s first career touchdown. Maryland would go on to win this game 31-13. The Terps outgained the scarlet knights on the ground 318 to 147.
It was a long day for Rutgers quarterback Giovanni Rescigno. Rescigno was sacked six plus times today by the Maryland defense. Rutgers will finish the season 2-10 which is the worst record in the Big Ten. Most of their games were lost in blowout fashion.
Maryland Linebacker Jermaine Carter had a phenomenal game with over 15 tackles, 2 sacks, one and a half tackles for loss, a forced fumble, and one fumble recovery. Running back Ty Johnson had over 168 yards rushing. Johnson had to pick up the slack considering all the controversy with his partner in crime, Lorenzo Harrison. Lorenzo was charged with reckless endangerment.
1. Defense: LBs Jermaine Carter and Shane Cockerille led the team in tackles made many plays to stifle the Rutgers offense.
2. Pass offense: Passing offense needs improvement in order to win a bowl game since Maryland is bowl eligible.
3. Running offense: Ty Johnson continues to dominate and Maryland stuck with their game plan which got them the win.
1. Pass Protection: Rutgers’ quarterbacks were sacked 6+ times in today’s game to end a horrible season
2. Running offense: Ground game was working between the two running backs, Justin Goodwin and Robert Martin.
3. Defense: They couldn’t stop Ty Johnson or the other Maryland running backs in the red zone.