Today was the final day of mini camp as the team will now have over a month off before training camp. Over these three days the thought process behind the roster is starting to come together. Today all of the assistant coaches come to the podium so we can access each position group. Today was a light practice after two solid days of work. Now school is out for summer… or its 5 weeks off until training camp. Here are my thoughts for today.
- Only Ron Rivera was at the podium and he generally was pleased with the camp. His confidence in this group was better than last years just by the progression of the younger guys and the comfort in the schemes. Rivera also said he was going to be patient with Chase Young and others who are rehabbing back, waiting for full assessment when training camp starts.
On Field Action
- Today was a light day as the team was preparing for the break. Many starters didn’t do much past stretching and position drills. Some younger guys got some action and Christian Holmes stood out the most. Holmes played physical and with aggression and his mouth can move a bit too.
- Offensively the younger TE’s made some impressive catches today. Cole Turner, Antonio Gandy-Golden and Armani Rodgers made plays today. One thing about this group is their size, Gandy-Golden is the shortest at 6’3″ but he looks bigger. With the way Carson Wentz operates with his height, the middle of the field will be in play for the offense. That leaves more single coverage on the outside. It all works hand and hand.
- Sam Howell got most of the live reps today and was up and down. His good throws are starting to outnumber the bad which is a good sign. Howell does have a live arm but is on the shorter side. Cole Kelley, who will be a practice teamer, is impressive at 6’7″ and plays composed. Kelley needs work on his deep ball and his technique will need to be refined.
- Training Camp will start July 27th in Ashburn, none will be done in Richmond.