The updated College Football Playoff rankings have been released and surprise surprise, there are no changes from last week. The top six of this week’s rankings are as follows:
- Alabama Crimson Tide
- Ohio State Buckeyes
- Michigan Wolverines
- Clemson Tigers
- Washington Huskies
- Wisconsin Badgers
This is arguably the biggest week of the regular season in college football as it is rivalry week. A ton of deeply rooted rivalries take place this weekend that can have a major effect on the College Football Playoff. Here are the key takeaways:
- The #5 Washington Huskies are on the road this week against the #23 Washington State Cougars in the 2016 edition of the Apple Cup rivalry. Both teams possess 7-1 conference records and what is on the line here is beyond state supremacy. The winner will be declared the Pac-12 North champion and will punch their ticket to San Francisco for the conference title game. A loss here would be a lot more impactful for the Huskies are on knocking on the door of the CFP. A loss here would eliminate the Huskies from the conference title game, the CFP, as well as possibly a New Year’s Day bowl game. Washington leads the series 70-32-6 and have won seven of the past ten match-ups.
- While the Badgers are ranked sixth, the hurdles they will have to jump to make the CFP are sizable. Of course they have to defeat Minnesota this weekend and by doing that, they will likely be in the Big Ten title game. A win in the Big Ten title game will make it difficult for the committee to keep the Badgers on the outside looking in.
- The #4 Clemson Tigers were a little angry in their 35-13 win over Wake Forest as they feel its important to accumulate as many “style points” as they can. That approach may carry over to the matchup with instate rival South Carolina Gamecocks this Saturday. The Gamecocks are a respectable 27th in the country in scoring defense allowing just 22.0 points per game. Do not be surprised if Clemson tries to run up the score if the opportunity arises. Not just because of the natural rivalry between the teams but to grab the attention of the CFP committee as well.
- This has the ingredients to be the most important rivalry game between Ohio State and Michigan in quite some time. In order to make the Big Ten title game, Ohio State must beat Michigan and hope that Michigan State pulls off their biggest win of the season by beating Penn State. In order for Michigan to make the Big Ten championship, its simple. Beat the Buckeyes and their in. The loser of this matchup can kiss the CFP goodbye. This will be fun to watch.
- The #20 Houston Cougars may have made the biggest impact to date involving the CFP. Their 36-10 win over the Louisville Cardinals dropped the Cardinals out of the playoff picture as Louisville received their second loss of the season. Many felt that Louisville belonged in the top four before the contest but they dropped the ball completely in a disappointing fashion. Their lost to Houston not only wiped away their chances of making the postseason tournament but it may have made millions of dollars for Houston head coach Tom Herman, who is the favorite to taking over the Texas Longhorns coaching position.