The Carolina Panthers are set to honor Pro Football Hall of Famer Sam Mills at Sunday’s game against the Arizona Cardinals. Mills, the inspiration behind the team’s “Keep Pounding” mantra became the first Panther enshrined in the Hall this past August. At halftime, videos from Jim Porter (NFL Hall of Fame President), Dan Morgan (player coached by Mills and current asst. GM) and Melanie Mills, wife of Sam Mills, will celebrate the induction.
The celebration will not be limited to halftime as the team has woven several honorary measures into the game day experience including:
- Special uniforms, shirts and hats for TopCats, PurrCussion, Black and Blue Crew and gate volunteer workers
- Keep Pounding statues at the North and East gates and a Fan Autograph Wall next to Mills’ statue along Mint Street
- Gate giveaways for fans are 51 Keep Pounding yard flags
- Special Sam Mills exhibits in the Mobile Team Museum inside the North Gate
- Players will wear 51 helmet decals and run out of the tunnel with 51 and Keep Pounding flags
- Special merchandise will be available in the team store, including replica Sam Mills jerseys, throwback Mills t-shirts, Hall of Fame block art and commemorative Hall of Fame coin
- Melanie Mills will hit the Keep Pounding drum prior to kickoff
Through today, there is also a free enter-to-win sweepstakes for replica Sam Mills jerseys and autographed season tickets by Mills and other members of the 1997 Panthers team. Those unable to attend the game can watch the ceremony via livestream on Panthers.com, the Panthers app and the Panthers YouTube, Facebook and Twitter accounts.